"The most popular request I receive in the DNA core lab is: find the good clone among this group of 'candidate' minipreps. Alignment of ABI data files against a 'reference' sequence (template file) quickly eliminates defectives by showing not only base changes but the consequences to the protein translation. The second most popular request is: validate this new maxiprep so it can be given to ... or used for ... or expressed in ... Rapid assembly and editing of total plasmid sequence and then comparison to the reference file on record is all done in Sequencher. The third most popular request is: compare this library of (protein improvement) mutants and tell me which ones have protein changes. This is done by alignment in Sequencher and then formatting the Summary view to display the resulting changes in protein translation. For my own projects, I use Sequencher as a very general multiple-alignment sequence editor. Most recently, I've been using it to make comparisons of genes retrieved from the databases for cross-species cDNA cloning. Showing regions of homology at the protein level and then having the colinear DNA sequence presented in the same view (Summary window) helps find regions suitable for primer design. Turning on the Matching Bases/Residues as Dashes quickly shows regions of homology and divergence. I design primers to either or both depending on the project. "
Gene Codes has been recognized by many different organizations around the world.
- The International Society for Computational Biology recognizes Howard Cash and Gene Codes Forensics for the unique application of computational biology to help with disaster victim identification. ISCB President Michael Gribskov called Gene Codes' contribution "unique, valuable, and beyond the limit of what could be expected".
- Ann Arbor IT Zone recognizes Gene Codes Corporation with the Indestructible Award for Growth and Achievement.
- Gene Codes is awarded the Merlanti Prize for Best Practices in Business Ethics.
- Genome Technology makes Howard Cash Person of the Year in their All-Star Awards.
- Gene Codes Corporation is named one of the Future 50 of Greater Detroit: "In recognition of your outstanding contribution to Metropolitan Detroit through sales and employment growth."
- Ernst & Young and The New Enterprise Forum name Howard Cash, President, CEO and founder of Gene Codes, Entrepreneur of the Year.
- Gene Codes wins the Washtenaw County Fast Track Award.
- Sequencher receives the Best DNA Sequence Assembly Product from the Biotechnology Software & Internet Journal.
- Gene Codes receives Michigan Leading Edge Technology Award in the biotechnology category. The award recognizes innovations introduced with Sequencher version 3.0, giving special mention to enhancements that allowed increased process automation.
- Gene Codes receives the Best Presentation of the Year award by the Michigan Branch of the New Enterprise Forum: "In recognition of an innovative business venture which has helped make Gene Codes Corporation a model entrepreneurial firm."